Location: Englewood, CO
Gevo’s mission is to transform renewable energy and carbon into energy-dense liquid hydrocarbons. These liquid hydrocarbons can be used for drop-in transportation fuels such as gasoline, jet fuel, and diesel fuel, that when burned have potential to yield net-zero greenhouse gas emissions when measured across the full lifecycle of the products. Gevo uses low-carbon renewable resource-based carbohydrates as raw materials, and is in an advanced state of developing renewable electricity and renewable natural gas for use in production processes, resulting in low-carbon fuels with substantially reduced carbon intensity (the level of greenhouse gas emissions compared to standard petroleum fossil-based fuels across their lifecycle). Gevo’s products perform as well or better than traditional fossil-based fuels in infrastructure and engines, but with substantially reduced greenhouse gas emissions. In addition to addressing the problems of fuels, Gevo’s technology also enables certain plastics, such as polyester, to be made with more sustainable ingredients. Gevo’s ability to penetrate the growing low-carbon fuels market depends on the price of oil and the value of abating carbon emissions that would otherwise increase greenhouse gas emissions. Gevo believes that its proven, patented, technology enabling the use of a variety of low-carbon sustainable feedstocks to produce price-competitive low carbon products such as gasoline components, jet fuel, and diesel fuel yields the potential to generate project and corporate returns that justify the build-out of a multi-billion-dollar business.
Gevo is seeking a Project Controller to join Gevo in our corporate headquarters in Englewood, Colorado. The position will initially support the construction phase of Gevo’s initial renewable natural gas construction project and to support the construction of larger renewable hydrocarbon production facilities as they approach and begin construction phases. The Project Controller will support on-site accounting performance and compliance while also serving as the liaison to our Corporate Accounting and Finance department. This position will partner with on-site project leaders to ensure accurate information is gathered and reported, ensuring reliable data is reported to corporate leadership on an on-going basis. This position will report to the Chief Accounting Officer and is responsible for managing and tracking all financial and accounting aspects of large construction projects. This includes driving accounting compliance, ensuring adherence to commercial contract terms, executing financial and operational internal controls, managing vendor contract changes and supplier claims, coordinating with project controls service providers (to the extent such services are employed), and maintaining operational excellence. This position requires interfacing with many internal stakeholders as well as with suppliers and outside contractors. This role requires a background in accounting and finance, including contract administration and working with large capital-intensive construction projects.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- BS and/or MS in Accounting
- 8-10+ years of accounting and finance experience managing large projects
- Experience in project management related to large construction projects
- Experience in the use of NetSuite or similar ERP systems
- Advanced understanding of project accounting methods
- Understanding of commercial contract terms and conditions
- Understanding of project risk management requirements in the areas of insurance, guarantees, etc.
- Detail oriented with strong time management and project management skills
- Ability to interact with many different people over the course of a project – someone with a high level of EQ is required
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure adherence to applicable accounting guidelines specifically related to construction projects.
- Ensure accurate project forecasts, incorporating known risks and opportunities and interface with Corporate FP&A.
- Work closely with PMs and 3rd party project controls provider to provide timely transparency around project performance against budget and schedule.
- Organize project reviews throughout the life of each contract including coordinating the close-out process.
- Review, verify and process project related transactions (purchase orders, invoices, etc.).
- Reconcile budget, schedule and forecasts with 3rd party project controls provider.
- Generate project status reports and summaries.
- Understand and manage sales and use, excise, and property tax requirements.
- Provide actionable insights and decision support across a wide range of activities including project estimating, forecasting, financial modeling, scenario analyses, and trend analysis.
- Develop, measure, and analyze performance against project execution plans, KPI’s, and communicate results to help drive greater accountability.
- Collaborate with the Project Manager to analyze trends and support development of accurate project forecasts based on planned initiatives and strategic business decisions.
- Conduct monthly performance reviews with the department to assess the financial health of projects and the department.
- Enhance forecast accuracy through the development of financial management standards for projects and drive disciplined expense management.
- Prepare cash position/projection analysis.
- Periodically audit billings on projects to ensure all costs have been submitted for payment.
- Assist operations to prepare monthly cost at completion estimates.
- Ensure payments are released promptly to subcontractors.
Gevo offers a competitive annual base salary, a generous vacation package, 401K plan, paid Medical, Dental and Vision insurance as well as an annual cash bonus & equity award (subject to Board of Director Approval). If interested, please submit a letter of interest, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls or agency submissions. EOE