Location: Englewood, CO
Gevo’s mission is to transform renewable energy and carbon into energy-dense liquid hydrocarbons. These liquid hydrocarbons can be used for drop-in transportation fuels such as gasoline, jet fuel, and diesel fuel, that when burned have potential to yield net-zero greenhouse gas emissions when measured across the full lifecycle of the products. Gevo uses low-carbon renewable resource-based carbohydrates as raw materials, and is in an advanced state of developing renewable electricity and renewable natural gas for use in production processes, resulting in low-carbon fuels with substantially reduced carbon intensity (the level of greenhouse gas emissions compared to standard petroleum fossil-based fuels across their lifecycle). Gevo’s products perform as well or better than traditional fossil-based fuels in infrastructure and engines, but with substantially reduced greenhouse gas emissions. In addition to addressing the problems of fuels, Gevo’s technology also enables certain plastics, such as polyester, to be made with more sustainable ingredients. Gevo’s ability to penetrate the growing low-carbon fuels market depends on the price of oil and the value of abating carbon emissions that would otherwise increase greenhouse gas emissions. Gevo believes that its proven, patented technology enabling the use of a variety of low-carbon sustainable feedstocks to produce price-competitive low carbon products such as gasoline components, jet fuel, and diesel fuel yields the potential to generate project and corporate returns that justify the build-out of a multi-billion-dollar business.
Gevo is looking for a Scientist – Strain Development, based in Englewood, Colorado. The purpose of this position is to enable successful development of strains for the production of target chemicals at industrial scale.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, & KNOWLEDGE
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or a related field
- Proven track record applying molecular biology techniques to the genetic modification of microbes, such as yeast
- Very good critical thinking skills & use of the scientific method
- Demonstrated collaboration track record and soft skills that enable success in collaboration
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills; effective listening skills; ability to communicate well with scientists having different academic backgrounds
- Can work as a team player in order to accomplish larger objectives
- Holds self and others accountable
- Can receive and give constructive performance feedback
- Prepare and deliver information in a concise, accurate, and professionally written format
- Prepare and present information in an informal setting to influence the development programs
- Analyze and develop solutions to problems
- Strong computer skills
- Self-starter, able to identify errors or areas for improvement, provide recommendations and follow through to completion
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to lift 15 – 25 pounds
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work independently on projects designed to optimize strain performance by genetic modification by applying molecular biology techniques
- Execute experiments to characterize strain performance at the shake flask fermentation scale
- Communicate results with well written, concise technical reports and/or presentations
- Help shape project plans to improve yeast performance
- Ability to operate fermenters and associated methods for evaluating fermentation performance of microorganisms is a plus
This position will report to the Director of Strain Development.
Gevo offers a competitive annual base salary range of $60,000 – $80,000, a generous vacation package, 401K plan, paid Medical, Dental and Vision insurance as well as an annual cash bonus & equity award (subject to Board of Director Approval). If interested, please submit a letter of interest, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com. Please no phone calls or agency submissions.