Gevo is seeking an Area Leader for the Utilities Area at our Lake Preston, SD project currently in development. The position is responsible for all operations within the Utilities Area and is a member of the Site Leadership Team.
Location: Lake Preston, South Dakota
Gevo’s mission is to transform renewable energy and carbon into energy-dense liquid hydrocarbons. These liquid hydrocarbons can be used for drop-in transportation fuels such as gasoline, jet fuel, and diesel fuel, that when burned have potential to yield net-zero greenhouse gas emissions when measured across the full lifecycle of the products. Gevo uses low-carbon renewable resource-based carbohydrates as raw materials, and is in an advanced state of developing renewable electricity and renewable natural gas for use in production processes, resulting in low-carbon fuels with substantially reduced carbon intensity (the level of greenhouse gas emissions compared to standard petroleum fossil-based fuels across their lifecycle). Gevo’s products perform as well or better than traditional fossil-based fuels in infrastructure and engines, but with substantially reduced greenhouse gas emissions. In addition to addressing the problems of fuels, Gevo’s technology also enables certain plastics, such as polyester, to be made with more sustainable ingredients. Gevo’s ability to penetrate the growing low-carbon fuels market depends on the price of oil and the value of abating carbon emissions that would otherwise increase greenhouse gas emissions. Gevo believes that its proven, patented, technology enabling the use of a variety of low-carbon sustainable feedstocks to produce price-competitive low carbon products such as gasoline components, jet fuel, and diesel fuel yields the potential to generate project and corporate returns that justify the build-out of a multi-billion-dollar business.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- Post-secondary school degree preferably in an Engineering discipline
- At least 10 years of operations experience with integrated utility systems including: High and Low Pressure Boiler Systems; Combined Heat & Power; Water & Waster Water Treatment Systems; Anerobic Digestion & Biogass Systems; Plant Compressed Air Systems; etc.
- Experience driving a strong safety culture and employee engagement
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Strong planning skills
- Strong computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office products
- Self-starter, able to identify areas for improvement, provide recommendations and follow through to completion
- Providing technical support to the Utility Area
- Managing operations across all relevant functions within the organization
- Selecting, developing, motivating, and managing subordinates
- Interacts well in a team environment (clients, peers, vendors, contractors)
- Good communication at all levels in the organization
- Open and flexible to changes in priorities and timelines
- Good listening skills
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build and lead the organization that will operate the Net Zero 1 site Utilliy Area and other operations
- Create an atmosphere of employee engagement, continual improvement, delivering on expectations and personal accountability
- Drive the continued use of Behavior Based Safety to ensure a safe working environment for all employees
- Responsible for achieving production goals with high safety standards
- Responsible for overseeing and supporting the EH&S, Quality, Operations and Maintenance functions including identifying opportunities for improvement, providing feedback, and conducting performance reviews
- Coordinate with EH&S Manager to ensure compliance with all city, county, state, and federal regulations are met at all times and all systems for regulatory and environmental compliance are maintained
- Maintain a positive, team-oriented interaction with co-workers
- Support and lead efforts to maximize plant performance through engaging a variety of experts, facilitating creative problem solving, and implementing process changes in a safe manner
- Prepare reports, analyze data, and make recommendations for improving plant operations and maintenance
- Work in a team-oriented environment with a demonstrated ability to lead a team to achieve high levels of efficiency, quality and safety
- Hold self and others accountable, take and give critical feedback
- Eager to expand knowledge and skills outside of normal duties. Seeks outside expertise whenever possible to ensure best practices are understood and implemented
- Prepare and deliver information in a concise, accurate and professionally written format and present information in an informal setting
- Analyze and develop solutions to problems with a strong perspective on financial impact of those solutions
- Significant time spent in plant which requires climbing ladders and stairs, working at heights, working in confined spaces, and working in extremely hot and cold environments – depending on weather conditions around a variety of chemical industry equipment
- Ability to work 12 hour days and flexible schedules
- May be required to lift up to 50 pounds occasionally
This position reports to the NZ1 Site Leader. Direct Reports include Utilities Operations Engineer and 8 Operating Technicians. Interacts often with other Area Leaders and functional heads.
Gevo offers a competitive annual base salary, a generous vacation package, 401K plan, paid Medical, Dental and Vision insurance as well as an annual cash bonus & equity award (subject to Board of Director Approval). If interested, please submit a letter of interest, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls or agency submissions.
Click Here to Send Your Résumé to Careers@gevo.com or use the form below: